Bathing boxes at the foot of Alkoomie Street Wynnum, 1935.
FROM THE WYNNUM MANLY HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC.
In February 1890, George Gibbs, proprietor of the Waterloo Bay Hotel, was given permission to build a private bathing house at the foot of Mary (Berrima) Street, by the Kianawah Divisional Board.
In about 1915, a bathing box was constructed for the nuns of Mt Carmel Convent, Bay Terrace. This box was known as the “Nuns’ Bathing Box”, and was reached from the Esplanade by a jetty, with a locked entrance. A fenced swimming enclosure was used.
By 1917, private bathing boxes were very popular and could remain on the foreshore for a fee.
When the wading pool opened in 1933, Mr J Webb paid £10 per annum to manage the hire of dressing boxes.
While bathing boxes were in vogue in the 1930s and 1940s, by the 1950s the local councils stopped the building of the boxes, citing that “they spoil the look of the beach and look like glorified public conveniences”.