Here’s a delicious baked cheesecake recipe that tastes as good as it looks. The cake’s plain top makes a perfect canvas to decorate with easter eggs, edible flowers or even miniature Easter figurines.
- 2 x 250g blocks of Philadelphia cream cheese
(add a small dash of pink or yellow food colouring if you’d like your cake to be more colourful for Easter)
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- A dash of pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs and one egg yolk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
CAKE FILLING PART 2 – TOP
- 1 small tub (250g) of sour cream – full fat or light
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- • 1 packet of Nice biscuits or Gingernut biscuits
- • 80 grams melted butter
- • Add 1 tsp of mixed spice, cinnamon or grated nutmeg if you use Nice biscuits
- Candied and/or chocolate eggs, and grated chocolate to decorate.
Preheat your oven to 175°c, and grease a 20cm springform tin.
- 1Prepare your base by crushing the biscuits (a food processor makes this easy, otherwise put the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin).
- 2Put the crushed biscuits in a bowl and add the melted butter and spice, then stir to combine.
- Using your hands, press the biscuit mixture into a greased 20cm springform tin to form a base for your cake, and pop it in the fridge to set while you make the cake filling.
- In a stand mixer, combine your cream cheese blocks, caster sugar, lemon juice and vanilla on a low speed.
- Once combined, add the eggs, slowly one by one, mixing as you go.
- Remove your cake base from the fridge and pour in the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (it should be almost set and light brown on top) then remove from oven, mix the lemon juice into the sour cream tub, then pour the sour cream over the top of the cake.
- Return to the oven for another 6 minutes – you’ll see the top bubble at the edges.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle some grated chocolate over the top, then transfer to the fridge to cool completely, uncovered.
- Decorate with various small easter eggs – candy or chocolate, and scatter with generous amounts of grated chocolate.