If you’re struggling to up your vegetable intake, here’s an easy to assemble salad that packs a flavourful punch and makes a perfect side or a light main meal. Leave out any vegetables you don’t like, and add the ones you do.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (microwave rice is easy and quick)
- 1 large continental cucumber, diced
- 3 tomatoes, de-seeded, diced
- 1 red and 1 green capsicum, diced (sweet mini capsicums are great too)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tin of baby corn kernels
- Handful of olives, pitted
- ½ cup of chopped fresh parsley, flat leaf or curly
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta or goat’s cheese
- Finely sliced chilli (optional; as much as you like)
- Juice of one large lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 cups of loosely packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicums, red onion, parsley, corn, baby spinach, olives, chilli (if using), and feta or goat’s cheese. Toss (be gentle!) to combine.
- In a small jar with a lid, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to make the dressing. Give it a good shake (put some music on, this is a good opportunity to dance).
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss until everything is well coated.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper; add more lemon juice if it needs more zing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for at least half an hour so the flavours can develop.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
Additions: To bulk up the salad, add grilled chicken strips, pan fried halloumi or tofu, cooked prawns or squid, even roast lamb and beef. You can also substitute the rice with cooked pasta.