A taco without meat that tastes fantastic? It does exist. This makes a sensationally fresh snack or light meal, and substituting meat for walnuts and adding a rainbow of veggies means these tacos are packed with healthy fats and nutrients.
WALNUT TACO FILLING
- 2 cups of natural walnuts
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of finely chopped coriander
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari
- Pinch of cayenne pepper – optional
- Salt to taste
OPTIONAL: TO SERVE
- Sliced avocado
- Thinly sliced chilli
- Tinned black beans
- Tinned or fresh corn kernels
- Diced tomato and capsicum
- Sliced red onion
- Herbs such as coriander and parsley
- Grated cheese
- Shredded lettuce
YOGHURT DRIZZLE SAUCE
- ½ cup of natural Greek yoghurt
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Pinch of salt
WRAP ‘EM UP OR SERVE AS A TACO BOWL
Lettuce leaves, taco shells or pita bread all work well as a vessel for the ingredients. You can also use a bowl to serve this salad-style.
- Make the walnut mince by combining all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you have a mince-like consistency. Don’t pulse for too long – you want the walnut mix to have a chunky texture, but be moist. If it’s not moist enough, add a teaspoon of water or more olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the yoghurt drizzle in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Prepare any additional ingredients you’re adding to your tacos like tomato, beans, cheese etc. in separate bowls.
- Assemble your tacos by layering the walnut mixture and your salad/additional toppings in a lettuce cup, taco shell or pita bread.
- Drizzle with yoghurt sauce to serve.